Moving and Packing Advice
You should always start packing a week or two before moving. Doing so allows you to ensure that small or fragile items don’t get lost or broken. The more planning you do, the less stressful the move will be.
Storage Packing Tips from All Secure Storage in Courtenay-Comox:
- Make packing easier by planning ahead: Gather up plenty of sturdy corrugated 2, 4, 5, & 6 cube cartons. Standard size cartons make handling and storing easier. Packing paper, bubble wrap, packing tape and marking pens will be needed.
- Boxes that are tightly sealed with packing tape will keep out dust, strengthen the carton, and help in stacking
- Pack as much as you can in each box. Fill boxes tightly, but take care to neither overpack nor underpack.(Bulging cartons tip when stacked, while half full cartons tend to collapse) Use wadded up packing paper or styrofoam popcorn to fill empty space.
- Pack heavy items like books and tools in 2 cube cartons. Limit weight to 45lbs for ease of handling.
- Label cartons on all sides for ease of identification. Mark all fragile cartons, and place them on top of heavier cartons.
Pack dishes in china cartons. These are heavier cardboard. Use lots of packing paper, and styro fill. Wrap each piece separately. Plates are best stacked on edge.
- Tape appliance doors shut when moving, but wedge them open once they are in storage. Refrigerators, freezers, washers and dryers all make great packing cartons for such items as bedding, towels or clothing.
- As you take furniture apart, you should mark all of the various pieces so that you know what goes where when you put it back together.
- Always place covers on mattresses during both the move and during storage.
- Fill your dresser drawers with small, fragile items. You can use clothing, towels or blankets for padding.
- Clothing that you usually hang-up should always be packed in a wardrobe carton.
- Never store a mirror flat, always stand them on edge. They should also be wrapped in paper mats.
News & Promotions
Storage the Secret to a Happy Life
The True Story of Home Insurance
Ask Us a Question
Self storage may seem to be a simple process. But if you don’t take the proper precautions, you may face disaster later. But don’t worry, we’re here to help.
How Much Storage Do You Need?